Beef Bavette with Chimichurri Sauce & Rice Salad
Kym Grimshaw is the talented self-taught chef behind food blog, On the Plate. With a focus on simple home cooking, she likes to share delicious recipes from all four corners of the globe accompanied by stunning photography. We asked her to tell us what her favourite BBQ dish was for the summer months and she’s provided us with this rich South American inspired recipe for Beef Bavette with Chimichurri Sauce and Rice Salad.
Beef Bavette with Chimichurri Sauce and Rice Salad
For the steak and chimichurri sauce:
- 500g Scotch Beef bavette steak
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pack coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 pack flat leaf, finely chopped
For the rice salad:
- 400g can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- Bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 1 corn cob
- 100g red or wild rice
- ½ bunch coriander
- ½ bunch parsley
- 2 limes
- Make the chimichurri sauce by mashing together the dry ingredients (except the herbs) in a pestle and mortar, with a little salt and pepper. Add the herbs and mash some more until they break down. Mix in the oil and red wine vinegar to taste.
- Prep the salad by cooking the rice per pack instructions and leaving to cool. Brush a little oil over the corn cob and griddle or barbecue, turning to cook evenly until nice and charred. Remove and cut off the kernels, adding them to the rice along with the beans, tomato and spring onion. Mix with the chopped herbs and juice of two limes.
- Rub a little oil over each side of the steak and season well. Griddle or barbecue the steak until cooked to your preference and allow it to rest for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with the chimichurri sauce and the rice salad.