Peppery Beef Burgers in Homemade Bread Buns
Originally from Poland, Bea has a real passion for food and wellbeing which she likes to share over on her blog Bea’s Cookbook through mouth-watering recipes and great photography. We asked her to give us some inspiration for the summer season so she’s shared her wonderful recipe for Peppery Burgers in Homemade Bread Buns, complete with a creamy coleslaw and a tasty garlic and dill sauce.
Peppery Burgers in Homemade Bread Buns with Creamy Slaw and Garlic Sauce
- 1lb Scotch Beef mince steak
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp. breadcrumbs
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly grounded black and red pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. of your preferred cooking oil
Garlic and dill Sauce:
- 100ml double cream
- 5 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- Salt and black pepper
Red cabbage slaw:
- 150g shredded red cabbage
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 250g white bread flour
- 125ml milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. dry yeast
- ½ tsp. sugar
- Pinch or two of salt
- 40g butter, soft, cut into small pieces
- Beaten egg for glazing
- Seeds (optional)
To serve with:
- red onion, thinly sliced
- Begin by making the bread rolls. Sift the flour in a large bowl and mix in the egg yolks, yeast, sugar, salt and milk. Add the butter and then knead until smooth, elastic and no longer sticky- add extra flour if needed.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and leave to rise for 1-1.5 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size. Turn out onto a floured surface, separate into four parts and knead each one for a couple of minutes. Mould the dough into smooth balls and place them on a lined baking tray. Cover them again and leave to rise for half an hour.
- Glaze the tops of the dough balls generously with beaten egg and scatter on some seeds. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 190°C and leave to cool before cutting in half.
- Make the garlic and dill sauce by mixing the cream, mayonnaise and dill in a bowl until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the cabbage and mayonnaise together to create the red cabbage slaw. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- To make the burgers, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and use your hands to shape the mixture into four patties. Rub them with oil, and then grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Assemble the burgers by cutting the buns in half and grilling them for 30 seconds. Spread a generous layer of garlic sauce on the bottom of the bun followed by rocket, red onion slices, a beef burger, red cabbage slaw and the top of the bun. Enjoy!