Beef and Toasted Mexican Cornbread Sandwich
FOR THE CORNBREAD
250 g yellow cornmeal
85 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp fine sea salt
100 g mature cheddar, grated
2 medium eggs, beaten
250 ml milk
125 ml vegetable oil (sunflower)
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 medium green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
8 slices cold roast Scotch Beef PGI, shredded into strips
Handful of shredded lettuce
1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
A little zest and the juice of half a lemon
1 tsp finely chopped red chilli or a dash of hot pepper sauce
Salt and black pepper
4 tsp soured cream
4 tsp chilli and tomato jam
- Preheat the oven to 190░C and grease a 1 litre loaf tin.
- To make the cornbread, mix together all the dry ingredients and the grated cheese in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Lightly whisk together the eggs, milk and oil then stir in the onions and chillies.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix lightly with a spoon then pour into the loaf tin. Bake in the oven for about 45-55 minutes until well risen, firm to the touch, crunchy and golden brown. Cool a little in the tin for about 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack until cold. (It is delicious to eat when warm but will cut more easily when cold).
- Toss the avocado with the lemon zest, juice, chilli and season to taste.
- Heat a griddle pan and toast the cornbread slices until golden brown and crisp.
- Start with a layer of shredded lettuce, then beef, a pinch of salt, avocado mixture, soured cream and chilli jam. If that is not enough chilli for you, top the whole thing with a preserved jalapeno chilli. Eat with a knife and fork!