Beef and Barley Soup
300g cooked Scotch Beef, shredded
2 tbsp olive oil
Knob of butter
3 onions, thinly sliced
4 thyme sprigs
75g pearl barley
1 litre beef stock
½ Savoy cabbage or cavolo nero, shredded
4 slices of baguette
4 slices of Gruyere cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan and cook the onions and thyme for 15 minutes until dark golden.
- Add the pearl barley, beef and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the barley is tender.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread on one side, then turn, place the cheese on top and return to the grill for a few minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cheese toasts.