Scotch Beef Carbonade
675 g lean Scotch Beef PGI braising steak, cut into 1.25cm (1/2") cubes
3 tbsp flour, seasoned with black pepper and salt
1 tbsp oil
2 onions, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp English mustard
300 ml brown ale
300 ml stock
1 tsp brown sugar
1 bouquet garni
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
For the Garlic and Herb Croutons:
Half a French stick, sliced into 8
25 g butter or margarine
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Coat the beef in the seasoned flour.
3. Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole and brown the beef.
4. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add all remaining ingredients.
6. Bring to the boil, cover and cook in the preheated oven, for 1 ½ -2 hours.
To make the garlic and herb croutons in a small bowl:
7. mix the butter or margarine with the garlic and herbs.
8. Lightly toast one side of the sliced bread. Spread the garlic and herb mixture on the other side and toast until golden.
Serve the carbonnade piled into a bowl with croutons and steamed cabbage