Beef Sirloin on Skirlie Potato Cakes with Oregano Pesto
Leftover roast Scotch Beef or seared Scotch Beef fillet if you don’t have any leftovers
Skirlie Potato Cakes (or use shop bought potato scones)
300g leftover mashed potatoes (or 1 packet good quality premade mash)
1 onion, finely chopped
100g medium oatmeal
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A large handful of chopped parsley or chives
Oregano Pesto – blitz all ingredients in a blender until peso like in consistency
50 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic (crushed)
30g fresh oregano leaves
juice of a lime
pinch of sea salt
half a mild-ish green chilli (deseeded)
To make the skirlies:
1. Melt the butter in a pan and gently sweat the onion until it begins to turn soft and golden.
2. Stir in the oatmeal so it absorbs the butter and starts to toast, add it to the mash with the seasoning and herbs. Mix everything together well.
3. Roll everything into a cylinder shape and wrap in cling film or greaseproof paper to keep the shape. This will make it easy to slice little discs for canapés.
4. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Slice the Skirlie mash into little discs and place on a roasting tray brushing with olive oil or melted butter and bake for 15 minutes at the top of the oven until they are golden.
To assemble the finished canapés:
1. Dot a little Scottish wholegrain mustard and crème fraiche on each potato cake then top with a slice of roast beef on top
2. Finish with a sprinkle of the oregano pesto.