Beef Topside with a Peppercorn and Herb Crust
1kg Scotch Beef Topside
12g mixed peppercorns – black, green and red
20g Dijon Mustard
20ml Rapeseed Oil
3 Sprigs of fresh thyme
3 Small red onions
1 Beef stock cube
300ml Boiling water
Sea salt (to taste)
- Grind the peppercorns in a mortar and pestle and finely chop the thyme.
- Mix the peppercorns, mustard, rapeseed oil and thyme together in a bowl and season with sea salt.
- Put the roast in a tin and spread the peppercorn mix over the top.
- Peel and quarter the onions and arrange around the roast.
- Roast in the oven for 20 mins, meanwhile dissolve the stock cube in boiling water.
- Take the roast out of the oven, remove the onions and keep to one side, turn down the heat to 170c/325f/gas3.
- Pour the stock around the roast, cover the beef loosely with some tin foil and roast in the oven for 45 mins for a medium/rare, roast for longer if you want your beef more well done.
- Cover the beef and let it rest for 20 mins and eheat the onions in the oven for 5 mins and serve.
- Use the cooking juices to make some gravy if you want.