Blackened Beef Rib Eye Steak with Creole BBQ Sauce and Fruity Fennel Slaw
2 Lean Scotch Beef rib eye or sirloin steaks
2 tsp Black peppercorns
1/2 tsp Dried red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
CREOLE BBQ SAUCE
200 ml Pineapple juice
1 tbspTomato ketchup
2 tbsp Mango chutney
1 tbsp Cider vinegar
FRUITY FENNEL SLAW
Juice of half a lime
1 tbsp Mint
- Crush together (either using a pestle & mortar, or bowl and wooden spoon) 10ml (2tsp) black peppercorns, 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) dried chilli flakes, 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) mustard seeds and coat each side of 2 lean thick rib eye steaks.
- Creole BBQ Sauce: Add to a saucepan 200ml carton of pineapple juice, 15ml (1tbsp) tomato ketchup, 30ml (2tbsp) mango chutney, 15ml (1tbsp) cider vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer to reduce for about 10 minutes or until thickened and syrupy.
- Fruity Fennel Slaw: Peel, de-seed and slice 1 mango, and 1 papaya fruit, place in a bowl. Take ½ fennel bulb, finely sliced and plunge into boiling water and then cold, drain, add this to the fruit mixture along with the juice of ½ lime and 15ml (1tbsp) mint, chopped.
- Mix this all together and chill.
- Cook steaks on a preheated grill, griddle or barbecue.
Serve steak with a dipping bowl of the Creole BBQ sauce and a large spoonful of fruity fennel slaw.