Braised Lamb Shanks with Lemon and Garlic
4 Scotch Lamb shanks
1tbsp olive oil
1 large carrot, diced
2 celery stick, diced
2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
8 garlic cloves, diced
Grated zest of 2 lemons
1 tbsp tomato puree
400g can chopped tomatoes
600ml (1 pint) lamb stock or white wine (or combination of both)
2tsp balsamic vinegar
Temperature: Preheated oven: 180oC / 160oC Fan / Gas Mark 4
- Heat the olive oil in a flameproof casserole and brown the shanks all over. Set aside. Add the carrot and celery to the oil, cook for 5 minutes or until softened but not coloured.
- Add the thyme, garlic, lemon zest and puree and cook for a further 2 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes and stock (or wine), bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return the shanks to the simmering braising liquid. Cover and cook in the oven for 1.5 – 2 hours or until the meat is tender and coming away from the bone.
- Transfer the shanks to a warm dish and place the casserole dish on the hob and boil to reduce slightly, checking the consistency and seasoning. Add the balsamic vinegar to bring out the flavours.
- Use lamb shanks in any of your favourite casserole recipes… so easy for portion control and simple to serve.
Delicious served with winter root vegetables and mashed potatoes, this zesty, garlicky recipe using Scotch lamb shanks offers great value, is easily cooked and a doddle to dish up