Greek Style Lamb with Lemon and Oregano
750 g (1 lb 10 oz) lean Scotch Lamb i.e. chump or boned leg, cut into large chunks
4 tbsp olive oil
4 red onions
1 bulb garlic, separated into cloves, skin on
300 g (10oz) salad potatoes, halved
2 lemons, quartered
1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme or oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
Temperature: Preheated oven: 190 oC / Fan 170 oC / Gas Mark 5
- Heat half the oil in a shallow roasting tin. Arrange the lamb in a single layer, season with black pepper and scatter on the fresh herbs. Cover tightly with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the onions into quarters leaving the roots intact. Add to the lamb with the potatoes and garlic, tossing lightly in the pan juices. Tuck the lemon quarters in around the lamb.
- Return the roasting tin to the oven, uncovered, and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the lamb and potatoes are tender and well coloured.
- Divide onto warmed plates. Squeeze some garlic pulp out from the skins ad mix in with any pan juices before drizzling over the meat.
- To make a Greek salad chop some tomato, cucumber, red onion and fresh coriander and mix with a handful of rocket leaves and a few olives. Topping with crumbled feta cheese is optional but traditional!
Informal cooking and eating an all-in-one tray of roasted Scotch Lamb with tasty pan juices and lightly roasted vegetables. Good with a green salad or fine green beans.