Scotch Lamb and Aubergine Dhansak
500g Scotch Lamb mince
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp hot chillim powder
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cm piece root ginger, chopped
1 aubergine, cubed
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
100g red lentils
400ml hot lamb stock
4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
250g young leaf spinach
Basmati rice and /or naan bread to serve
- Place the lamb in a bowl, sprinkle over the spices and mix well together (if you have time set aside for an hour).
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, ginger, aubergine and pepper for 5 minutes or so until golden.
- Add the spiced mince and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, stock, tomatoes and cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes until very tender.
- Add the spinach, and cook for a minute or two until wilted. Serve with rice or naan.
For a lovely cooling raita to serve with this curry, coarsley grate ½ cucumber and place in a sieve. Press with the back of a spoon to extract the excess juice. Mix the cucumber with 150g natural yogurt, 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint and a crushed garlic clove.