Lamb chump roast with a ginger and rosemary glaze
1 Scotch Lamb chump, scored, boned and rolled (approx 500g, boned weight)
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
2 pieces of stem ginger preserved in syrup, finely chopped
1 tbsp of the ginger syrup
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ gas 4.
- Place the meat in a small roasting tin. Mix together all the glaze ingredients and keep half aside for later, brush the other half of it over the joint of lamb.
- Cover loosely with a double sheet of baking parchment so that the syrup doesn’t burn. Put into the hot oven for 25 minutes.
- Re-glaze the meat with the remaining mixture and return to the oven for 30 minutes, covered with the paper.
- Remove the paper for the last 10 minutes of the cooking time.
- Transfer the lamb to a warm serving plate and cover with foil to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
Cooks tip: Simmer some whole peeled small onions in lightly salted water until tender, then using this ” onion stock”, make a white sauce (in the usual way with butter and flour), season with lots of black pepper and return the onions to the pan to heat through, and serve this onion sauce and some wilted spinach and sliced lamb.