Mighty Lamb Tomatoes
4 big and 8 small
225 g (8 oz) lean Scotch minced Lamb
8 firm beef tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
5 tbsp long grain rice
2 tbsp sultanas
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp freshly chopped mint
2 tbsp freshly chopped dill or parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
Temperature: Preheated oven: 180 Â’C / Fan 150 Â’C / Gas Mark 4
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes and set aside. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh into a bowl, collecting the juices. Roughly chop the tomato flesh. Leave the tomato shells to drain upside down on kitchen paper.
- Using a non-stick frying pan, cook the minced lamb for 5 minutes or until it browns and becomes crumbly. Mix in the remaining ingredients including the tomato juices and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if the mixture becomes too dry. It should be quite moist for the rice to absorb and cook.
- Arrange the tomato shells in a roasting pan and generously spoon the filling into each shell. Pop the tops back on and loosely cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- This recipe is also ideal for using leftover cold roast beef, pork or lamb, finely chopped and added to the saucepan with all the ingredients.
Serve warm with crusty bread to mop up the tomato juices, crisp slices of cucumber and for the more adventurous some olives and feta – these delicious stuffed tomatoes will be a hit with the children.