Mince and Tatties
500g minced Scotch Beef
1 onion, peeled and diced/chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 small stick of celery, diced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp plain flour
600ml beef stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- In a broad based pan over a medium heat, fry the diced vegetables in the oil for about 5 minutes until softened but not brown, then increase the heat, add the meat to the pan and fry until it is well browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- When the meat is browned, slightly reduce the heat then sprinkle the flour over the meat and veg and stir for a couple of minutes to cook the flour.
- Add the stock, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper. Stir while the sauce comes gently to the boil and begins to thicken.
- Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes adding more stock as necessary, until everything is tender.
- Serve the mince in shallow bowls with buttered mash or boiled potatoes and a twist of black pepper.