Moroccan Lamb with apricots and almonds
2 tbsp olive oil
50g blanched almonds
2 small onions or large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and very finely sliced
10 strands of saffron
2.5 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 cinnamon stick broken in half
450 g Scotch Lamb neck fillet sliced into 1 cm pieces
8 soft semi-dried apricots
8 dates, torn into halves
3-4 strips thinly pared orange rind
1-2 tbsp clear honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaf
- Heat oil in a heavy-based pan and stir the almonds until they turn golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic until softened and beginning to brown. Stir in the saffron, ginger, coriander and cinnamon.
- Toss in the lamb, coating it in the spices and fry for a couple of minutes. Return the almonds to the pan.
- Pour in enough water to barely cover the meat and bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer very gently for about 30 mins until the meat is tender.
- Add the apricots, dates and orange rind and a little extra water if necessary, check the seasoning. Re-cover the pan and simmer for a further 15 mis.
- Add the honey, check the seasoning again and simmer for 10 more mins. The sauce should be quite syrupy. Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander and couscous.