Nicoise Lamb Salad
500 g / 1 lb Scotch Lamb neck fillet, trimmed
A little olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 large eggs
350 g / 12 oz small new potatoes, halved
100 g / 4 oz green beans, trimmed
150 g / 5 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
50 g / 2 oz pitted black olives
30 ml / 2 tbsp capers, drained
50 g / 2 oz rocket leaves
zest and juice 1 lemon
30 ml / 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
30 ml / 2 tbsp olive oil
5 ml / 1 tsp Dijon mustard
A pinch of sugar
- Preheat a griddle pan. Place the lamb fillet on a board, rub all over with a little oil and seasoning. Place on the hot griddle and cook over a medium heat for 15-20 mins, turning regularly until they are charred on the outside but still pink in the centre. Remove from the heat and leave to rest for 5 mins.
- Place the eggs in a small pan of water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 6 mins. Drain and rinse in cold water, tapping the shells all over. Peel away the shells and thickly slice the eggs.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 mins or until tender. Cook the beans in boiling salted water for 4 mins until just tender. Drain both the potatoes and beans then rinse in running water until cold and drain again.
- Place the eggs, potatoes, beans, tomatoes, olives, capers and rocket in a large bowl. Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl with seasoning, pour over the salad and toss together.
- Divide the salad between four bowls. Thinly slice the lamb and lay it on top of the salad. Serve immediately.