Onions Rings in Beer Batter
1 litre vegetable oil for deep frying
3 medium/ large onions, peeled and cut into 1 cm slices
115g plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
Pinch cayenne or paprika (optional)
330 ml lager
- Pour the oil into a large, deep saucepan, do not fill more than a third full or the hot oil could boil over and catch fire. Heat the oil to 180°C
- Separate the onion slices into rings and rinse under cold water, then drain and pat dry on kitchen paper take a little of the seasoned flour and toss the onion slices in it.
- Make the batter. Sift the flours, salt and cayenne into a mixing bowl. Gradually pour in the beer whisking it in with a balloon whisk until you have a smooth thick batter that will coat the onions.
- When the oil is nearly up to temperature, dip some of the onion rings in the batter letting any excess drip back into the bowl.
- Cook the rings in batches of a few at a time and cook for about 3 minutes until dark golden brown. When done remove with a slotted spoon onto a tray lined with absorbent paper and keep warm in a low oven till all are ready to serve.