Rump Steak with Bean Salad and Avocado
2 medium Scotch Beef PGI rump steaks
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt & pepper
1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
150g sweetcorn, tinned or frozen
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
Handful of coriander, finely chopped
150g small plum/cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 ripe avocado, sliced
Juice and zest of 2 limes
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, crushed
- Remove steaks from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Make the dressing by combining extra virgin olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, crushed garlic, sugar, cayenne pepper, cumin and salt & pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Make the bean salad. Drain and rinse beans and chickpeas in a sieve under cold running water then allow to drain thoroughly. Place them in a medium bowl along with the sweetcorn, finely chopped red onion, chopped red chilli and chopped coriander. Add the dressing, mix well and allow to rest until everything else is ready.
- Place a large frying pan or griddle pan onto a medium heat. Pat the steaks dry with kitchen paper then rub half the oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the remaining oil into the pan. When hot add the steaks, pressing them down slightly to maximise contact with the pan. Allow to cook for around 2 minutes, then turn and repeat on the other side.When cooked to your liking remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the meat is resting slice the tomatoes and avocado.
- Assemble the salad on a large platter dish spreading the bean salad all over the dish, scatter the sliced tomatoes and avocado over the beans.
- Slice the rested meat into thin slices and scatter these on top of the salad. Serve with lime wedges and extra coriander on top.