1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
100 g mushrooms, sliced
15 g butter
1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
50 ml brandy or whisky (optional)
200 ml double cream
Salt and pepper
- Put a little olive oil in the frying pan, add the onions and fry until soft.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, butter and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, any meat juices from the steak and stir for a minute.
- Pour in the alcohol now (if using) and turn up the heat. Once the alcohol has burnt off, swirl the juices around the pan.
- Add the cream and allow the sauce to thicken before turning down the heat.
- Taste and season as required and serve spooning the sauce over the steaks.
A classic rich and creamy sauce with mushrooms.