Savoury Mince Pancakes
500g lean minced Scotch Beef PGI
1 leek, thinly sliced
200g mushrooms, chopped coarsely
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 sprigs thyme
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp seeded mustard or hot horseradish
100 g buckwheat flour
1 large egg
200 ml milk mixed with 100ml beer or water
1 tbsp vegetable oil (plus more for cooking pancakes)
4 tbsp grated Gruyere or mature cheddar
- Sift the buckwheat flour and salt into a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and crack in the egg. Pour half of the liquid into the well with the egg and with a balloon whisk or wooden spoon, starting in the middle, gradually incorporate all the flour until you have a nice smooth batter. Stir in the remaining liquid. Cover the bowl and rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes while you prepare the mince.
- Pour 200ml cold water into a wide sauté pan and crumble the mince into it with your fingers. Heat gently and bring to just below boiling point and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. (This method prevents the meat fibres from toughening and avoids the need for extra oil or fat)
- Fry the leek and mushrooms together in a little oil until soft and just beginning to colour, then add the beef with the tomato purée and thyme and simmer all together for 15 minutes. Season well. Stir in the mustard or horseradish and continue simmering until much of the liquid has evaporated leaving the meat coated in a tasty gravy.
- Cover a large plate or baking sheet with kitchen paper ready for the pancakes once they are cooked.
- Stir the batter, it may have separated a bit.
- Heat a large pancake pan/ non-stick frying pan, pour a teaspoon of oil into the pan and onto it pour a small ladle of the batter. Swirl the batter around the pan so it spreads thinly over the whole base. When set and beginning to brown, flip it over to cook the other side.
- Continue until all the batter is used.
- Set the oven to 180°c/fan 160°/gas 7
- Line two baking sheets with a layer of baking parchment.
- Spoon some meat filling onto the centre of the top pancake, carefully fold over the edges to form a square envelope, completely enclosing the filling and place onto the parchment lined tray. Repeat until all the filling is used.
- Sprinkle some cheese over each pancake and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Serve accompanied by green vegetables or salad.