Scotch Beef and Haggis Tacos
375 g Scotch Beef (Cubed)
100 g chopped tomatoes
100 ml stock (chicken or beef)
Spice mix (1tsp paprika, oregano, cumin and chilli powder, mixed
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp whisky
3 gloves garlic
Corn taco tortillas
Recipe by Vic Gray, Tupperware Tales
- Mix the dry spices together and divide the mix in half.
- Put one half into a bowl with 1tbsp olive oil and a crushed clove of garlic. Mix the beef in until it is covered.
- If using a slow cooker, braise the beef in a hot saucepan and put into the greased slow cooker, add the lime juice, whisky, two more crushed garlic cloves, the rest of the spice mix, the tomato and the stock until the beef is just covered (don’t use all the stock if you don’t have to). If using a pan, do all this in the same saucepan.
- Cook for an hour and a half covered over a low heat in a pan, or three hours on low in a slow cooker. Meanwhile, cook the haggis in the oven.
- Take the beef out, shred with two forks and return to the mix, but remove the lid (for both slow cooker and pan) to reduce the sauce. It should be thick, not watery. If too dry, add more stock, if too liquid reduce it a little before returning the beef to the pan.
- Season to taste, and garnish with fresh coriander.
- Cook the haggis as per the instructions, timed to be ready at the same time as the beef.
- To make the tacos: take a corn shell, cover the base with guacamole, add a helping of beef, cover with salsa, sour cream, and finally haggis. And some cheese, if you like.