Scotch Beef Meatloaf
1.25 kg lean Scotch Beef PGI mince
3 rashers streaky bacon, roughly chopped
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs (e.g. chives, parsley and thyme) OR 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
75 g sunblush tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
Celery salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C and oil a large loaf tin.
- Mix together all the ingredients very thoroughly, season and pack into the loaf tin which has been oiled and lined with foil, spreading evenly and smoothing the top.
- Cover closely with baking parchment and foil and cook in the oven for about 1 ½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and, still covered, leave to stand for at least 30 minutes or until completely cold. It is tastier when it is allowed to cool completely and also easier to slice.
- You can make a quick gravy with the meat juices and some gravy granules.
This is a flexible dish across the seasons. Serve with mashed potatoes, spring greens and steamed leeks if you want a warm meal and a gravy made from the meat juices and some gravy granules, or salad and a jacket potato if you want a summery meal.