Scotch Beef Tacos
300g Scotch Beef PGI rump steak
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
8 taco shells or soft corn tortillas
1 ripe avocado, sliced
100g cheddar cheese, grated
100g natural yoghurt or sour cream
4 lime wedges
FOR THE MARINADE
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground paprika
Salt and pepper
- Place all the marinade ingredients into a ziplock bag and add the steaks. Remove excess air from bag, seal then massage marinade all over the meat. Leave for up to an hour at room temperature or up to 6 hours in the fridge.
- Prepare your taco elements – peel and slice the avocado, grate the cheese, shred the lettuce and pop the yoghurt and salsa into little individual ramekins or bowls.
- Remove steaks from bag, keeping the sauce in the bag. Pat the steaks dry with kitchen towel and lightly rub a little vegetable oil over both sides of the steak.
- Place a large frying pan onto a medium high heat. Once hot add the steaks and cook to your liking (around 1-1.5 mins per side for medium). Once cooked remove from pan and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add a little more oil to the pan and add the sliced onions. Sauté on a medium heat until they’re soft. Add the red and yellow peppers along with the remaining marinade. Stirring all the time cook for another two minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Cut the steak into thin slices then add to the pan and mix everything well.
- Place the taco shells or soft corn tortillas in the oven to warm up and get all the other elements loaded onto large plates in the middle of the table.