Scotch Beef Tagine
225 g (8 oz) lean Scotch Beef popeseye (rump) steak, cut into small cubes
5 ml (1 tsp) oil
1 red onion chopped
75 g (3 oz) ready to eat apricots, chopped
15 ml (1 tbsp) ground cumin
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
15 ml (1 tbsp) ground turmeric
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground allspice
400 g (approx) can chickpeas, drained
300 ml (1/2 pt) stock
150 ml (1/4 pt) white wine (or stock can be used)
175 g (6 oz) couscous
15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick wok or saucepan. Cook the onion over a low heat for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients except the couscous and coriander. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and leave for 2 – 3 minutes.
Serve with mixed herb salad or seasonal vegetables and crusty bread.