Scotch Lamb Biryani
500 g 1.5 inch diced Scotch Lamb neck, shoulder or leg
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 butternut squash, cubed into 2cm squares
400 g basmati rice
8 cloves garlic, finely sliced
3 green chillies, finely sliced
4 bay leaves
25 g fresh mint leaves
100 g frozen peas
1 stock cube (lamb, chicken or vegetable)
8 whole cloves
1 large thumb of fresh ginger, finely diced
1 stick of cinnamon
1 heaped tsp turmeric
2 tsps cumin seeds
2 tsps coriander seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
Or use a pre-made curry paste
Scotch Lamb meets South Indian cuisine. Follow along with our quick and easy Lamb Biryani – pair with naan and you’ve got one tasty meal
- Preheat oven to gas mark 7 / 220°C / 425°F.
- Add the diced lamb to a pan and allow to brown all over.
- Once the meat has been seared, remove and fry the onions and garlic along with the chilli, ginger and whole spices (not the turmeric).
- Add the turmeric and butternut squash and fry for 5 minutes.
- Place the rice into the pan and constantly stir, allowing the rice to colour.
- Add water (double the volume of rice), the lamb, the bay leaves and stock cube. Bring to the boil, place a lid on and put into the oven for 15 minutes.
- When the rice is softened, gently stir, season to taste, remove the bay leaves and add the peas and mint to serve.