Scotch Lamb Meatballs
500 g lean Scotch Lamb mince
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 small brown onions, finely diced
1 slice of white bread, grated into crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
25 g fresh tarragon, leaves gently chopped
25 g fresh basil
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
200 g cherry tomatoes
400 g penne pasta
50 g parmesan shavings (optional)
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6 / 200°C / 400°F.
- Mix the lamb, half the garlic and onion, breadcrumbs, egg, a pinch of salt and pepper and tarragon leaves.
- Shape into 12 balls, (optional: cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 30mins).
- In batches, cook the meatballs in oil and allow them to brown all over. Remove and place to one side.
- Stir the onions and garlic in the pan before adding the chopped tomatoes with a pinch of sugar. Bring up to the boil and allow to simmer for 3 – 4mins.
- Add the meatballs back into the pan along with the cherry tomatoes and basil. Stir and bring to a simmer, place in the oven with a lid and bake for approx. 20mins.
- Cook the pasta and drain. Remove the meatballs from the oven before adding to the pasta with sauce. Sprinkle the parmesan and sprigs of basil to serve