Scotch Pot Roast Beef
1.25 kg lean Scotch Beef PGI brisket, boned and rolled
1 tbsp oil
2 red onions, quartered
6-8 baby carrots, peeled
4 sticks celery, cut into chunks
2 bay leaves
450 ml beef stock
150 ml brown ale
1-2 tbsp gravy granules
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the joint and brown all sides. Place in a deep 3.4 litre (6pt) ovenproof casserole.
- Arrange the onions, carrots, celery and bay leaves around the joint and season well.
- Add the stock and brown ale. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 2 hours.
- Thicken with gravy granules if desired.
Serve joint cut into thick slices with braised vegetables and new potatoes.