Shallot & red wine sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
Sprig of rosemary or thyme
200 ml red wine
200 ml stock
½ tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp of cold water
1 knob of butter
Salt and pepper
- Put a little olive oil in the pan, add the shallots and cook until golden (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the garlic and herbs and cook for another few minutes while stirring.
- Pour in the wine, turn up the heat and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until reduced by two thirds.
- When reduced, add the stock and the cornflour paste and simmer until the liquid is further reduced and starts to thicken. Remove the herbs.
- Add the butter and stir through.
- Add any of the meat juices from the rested steaks and season to taste.
Top Tip: Make this sauce after the steaks are cooked and removed from the pan to rest, use the pan to make the sauce for extra flavour.