Spring Scotch Beef Roast with a Wild Garlic Pesto Crust
WILD GARLIC PESTO
100g wild garlic
75g pine nuts, toasted
75g parmesan cheese, grated
150ml rapeseed oil
Salt & pepper
1.4 kg Scotch Beef (sirloin, forerib topside or silverside)
3 tbsp wild garlic pesto
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
Wild Garlic Pesto:
- Wash and pat try the wild garlic leaves, toast the pine nuts in a dry non-stick pan and grate the Parmesan .
- Place everything in a food processor or blender and blitz until it reaches the desired consistency.
- This recipe will make a larger quantity of pesto than you need for the Scotch Beef Roast recipe. Store the remainder in a jar in the fridge or freeze in individual ice cube portions. Great stirred through pasta for a quick meal, served on top of lamb chops or steak or mix some into a soup, risotto or mashed potatoes for a fresh garlicky kick.
Scotch Beef Roast:
- Take the beef out of the fridge, remove any packaging and allow it to come up to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- Mix together the wild garlic pesto and breadcrumbs and press on top of the joint of beef.
- Place the beef in a roasting tin and cook to your preference.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.