Superfood Salad with Scotch Lamb
4 medium sized Scotch Lamb PGI gigot steaks, rubbed with plenty of coarse ground black pepper and a little salt
250g edamame beans, cooked
150g quinoa (white, red or black)
240g fine asparagus, charred for a few minutes on a hot griddle pan
6 spring onions, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
½ a large cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and cut into long ribbons with a vegetable peeler
A small handful of flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
2-3 small sprigs marjoram or oregano leaves picked and chopped
The flesh of 2 ripe avocados, cut into small chunks
Finely grated zest of 1 lime and the juice of 2 limes
Seeds from 1 small pomegranate
FOR THE DRESSING
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon plus the flesh, all pith and skin cut away and chopped in small pieces
1 tbsp agave syrup
2-3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- In a dry saucepan over medium heat toast the quinoa for about 4 mins, shaking the pan often, then cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 11 minutes by which time all the water should have been absorbed. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes then stir with a fork. Allow to cool.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Fill a mixing bowl with ice cold water and drop in the prepared Spring onions and cucumber and they will curl in a few minutes.
- To the quinoa add the beans, parsley and marjoram, avocados, lime and pomegranate seeds and carefully mix in the dressing.
- Heat a griddle pan and cook the gigot lamb steaks for around 4 minutes each side (depending on thickness) and until cooked to your liking. Turning every 30 seconds or so, to prevent toughening.
- Drain the curly vegetables and blot with kitchen paper.
- Spoon some quinoa salad onto each plate, add a few veg curls on top then a few griddled asparagus spears and a succulent lamb steak.