Traditional Steak Pie
600g Cubed lean Scotch Beef braising steak
1 Large Onion
40ml Rapeseed oil
1 Bay leaf
50g Tomato puree
35ml Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp White pepper
1 Beef stock cube
500ml Boiling water
375g Ready rolled puff pastry
1 Medium egg yolk
Sea salt (to taste)
- Peel, half and finely chop the onion, heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat and the onions.
- Transfer to a saucepan and add the boiling water, Worcestershire sauce, white pepper, bay leaf, tomato puree and crumble over the stock cube.
- Season with some salt, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas6, put the meat and gravy into the pie dish.
- Unroll the pastry and trim to fit over the top of the dish (use any trimmings to decorate).
- With a brush – glaze the top of the pie with the egg yolk and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden.