The Scotch Difference goes beyond the farm. From animal welfare and sustainability to a whole-life assurance programme, we support red meat that’s produced to an uncompromisingly high standard.
Find out more about...
The Scotch Difference
Wondering what this means? Keep reading to find out why Scotland is one of the most sustainable and reputable places in the world to produce beef and lamb.
PGI Certification Since 1996, Scotch Beef has held the coveted PGI status legally protecting the brand from imitation.
Respectfully Reared Independent welfare checks are carried out on farms from the Scottish SPCA.
The Perfect Landscape Over 80% of our land is grass or rough grazing, not suitable for crops but ideal for livestock.
Part of a Natural Cycle Grass grazed by livestock absorbs carbon from the atmosphere and captures it in the soil.
The Perfect Climate An abundant supply of rain in Scotland creates lush grasslands without the need for irrigation.
Quality Assured Livestock must have spent their entire life on QMS assured holdings to hold our iconic logos.
Independently Audited To a strict set of standards covering animal welfare, food safety and best practice.
Scotland is one of the most sustainable places in the world to produce beef and lamb. Due to our weather and topography it requires very few inputs to produce nutrient dense, high quality food. Over 80% of Scottish farmland is grassland or rough grazing not suitable for growing cereals and vegetables but ideal for beef and lamb production. As part of a natural cycle, grass grazed by livestock absorbs carbon from the atmosphere and captures it in the soil contributing to an important carbon sink.
Livestock farmers work in harmony with nature. For example, habitat corridors are created by planting hedges and trees on farmland. This, and different grassland sowing and cutting regimes will help promote and protect natural habitats for wildlife such as curlew, snipe and lapwings.
The QMS Animal Welfare and Wellbeing Charter recognises the five freedoms of animal welfare and wellbeing and is a guiding principal for all of the QMS assurance schemes which are supported and approved by the Scottish SPCA - Scotland’s independent animal welfare charity. The SSPCA are our leading partner for animal welfare to achieve transparency and ensure our all of our meat is respectfully reared. The five freedoms protect all livestock under the Scotch Beef PGI, Scotch Lamb PGI and Specially Selected Pork labels from hunger and malnutrition, discomfort, pain, injury or disease. Animals have freedom to express normal behaviour and freedom from fear and distress.
Scotland’s livestock farmers are passionate about looking after our iconic countryside and play a vital role in sustaining an industry which supports around 50,000 jobs – many in Scotland’s fragile rural communities.
Our farmers are caretakers of the land, who are proud to keep improving it for future generations and to be upholding one of Scotland’s oldest and most important traditional industries.
Discover Our Brands
Scotch Lamb PGI
Scotch Lamb takes its quality and characteristics from a stress-free life grazing on the Scottish hills. When you see the PGI badge with the Scotch Lamb logo, you can be confident that all lambs were born, reared and processed in Scotland and held whole life quality assurance.
Scotland has a proud history of rearing cattle for good quality beef. 70% of the cows in Scotland produce beef, while the remaining 30% of cows are primarily for producing milk. When compared to other parts of Britain where dairy plays a much larger role, it's easy to see why Scotch Beef has such a good reputation.
Specially Selected Pork is sourced from farms that meet stringent criteria including animal welfare and natural production methods from within Quality Meat Scotland's Pig Assurance standards. This meaning the highest welfare standards are met from farm to fork.